Spider Mites and Nepenthes Alata

A few weeks ago I found webs on my nepenthes but thought they were from normal spiders. I’ve never had experience with spider mites and didn’t recognize the signs. Tight webbing, clear little teeny tiny eggs, and previously healthy leaves turning yellow. In fact, I thought I might have been overwatering it… so I backed off. Unfortunately, I think the dry soil conditions helped spur mitey (pun intended) growth.  After a few hours of research, I realized what they were and set off to banish them.

I went to my local gardening store and bought a natural spider mite killer. So far the regime has been: blast Nepenthes with water in my tub, let dry for a day or two then thoroughly drench it with spider mite killer, making sure to get under leaves and crevices on vines. I’ve only done this twice. What I have noticed so far is that spider mites are definitely dying as I see their little carcasses in my tub after I spray it. Hopefully, a few more weeks of this will kill all of them and the eggs.

I spend my weekends going to nurseries, taking pictures of them and then going home to do a few hours of research. This process determines which plants I’ll put on my ever growing Plants I Want List. I bought a new plant this weekend, my first calathea! Calathea angela to be exact! I love the broad leaves and purple underside with the mix of light green to dark on top. I really wasn’t expecting to buy another plant (That’s not true. I admit, it’s pretty hard for me to walk around a nursery and not be tempted to take someone home) but I’ve had some good success with my maranta and decided to take the plunge with a calathea!

Calathea angela


Maranta Update:

My maranta’s doing pretty well now! I made a YouTube video a few weeks ago because my maranta’s leaves had been turning yellow and I finally know why! I thought it was because I watered it with seltzer water (which contains salt) but no! It’s because I was overwatering. I stopped for a few weeks and behold! Now healthy and a ton of new growth!


It was looking lopsided so I decided to take a few cuttings. I put one in water to root and then the other in soil. Yay for plant experiments!



2 thoughts on “Spider Mites and Nepenthes Alata

  1. Thanks! You helped me get a starting point for identifying a plant I have. It looks sort of similar to your maranta and calathea. Now to narrow it down!

    Also, if you get tired of buying spray for the spider mites, I found that a spray bottle of water with a little isopropyl alcohol and unscented dish soap works really well. I had some mixed up for a scale infestation, but it also killed the spider mites some other plants had.

    1. I’m going to try that! I’m almost out of the spider mite killer and it doesn’t seem to be working that well. I’m not seeing as many eggs but the leaves are still yellowing and I see the black spots where they’re sucking juice out 😦 Plus I found scale on my Bears lime tree 😦

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s